Standard Return & Remake Policy
At Proper Cloth, our mission is to inspire and enable our customers to look their best and fulfill their potential, by making high quality, better-fitting clothing and demonstrating operational excellence. We take this mission seriously, and our approach to returns and remakes is an important part of how we achieve that mission. Fundamentally, we stand behind our products and want you to love all of your Proper Cloth pieces. We also want to empower you to leverage our custom fit capabilities to find a your own personal “perfect fit.”
With this in mind, we’ve crafted this return policy to provide you the opportunity to conveniently return items that you don’t love, and to remake custom items in new sizes, free of charge.
There are some limits, though. Here we try to explain what those limits are so you know what to expect.
Returns for Exchanges, Store Credit, and Refunds
We want you to love all of the Proper Cloth pieces you purchase, and we go out of our way to make it easy to return things that don’t match your expectations.
- Products must be returned within 90 days of the purchase date to qualify for a full refund and within 120 days of the purchase date to qualify for store credit.
- Proper Cloth is not liable for returns that are lost in transit. Please keep record of tracking information when sending back a product.
- Refunds can only be issued to the original payment method.
- Processing time for exchanges, store credit, or refunds is typically 3-7 business days.
- Exchanges are subject to stock and fabric availability.
- Wearing & Washing Items
- When returning Stocked Products or Tailored Clothing: Items must be unworn, unwashed, and unaltered in order to qualify for a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- When returning Custom Shirts or Casual Pants: Items may be laundered 1-2 times, but should not show signs of repeated use in order to qualify for a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- Returning Gifts
- Gift items can be exchanged or returned for store credit by the recipient with proof of purchase.
- Refunds for gifted items can only be issued to the original purchaser’s form of payment.
Returns for Remakes
While custom products can be returned for refunds and store credit, a complimentary remake is often more helpful. A remake gives you the chance to fine-tune your custom size for a better fit, or switch a fabric or design detail. See tips on how to request a remake here.
- Each customer is entitled to two complimentary remakes per custom product category. That includes two remakes for Shirts, two remakes for Casual Pants, two remakes for Tailored Clothing Jackets and two remakes for Tailored Clothing Dress Pants. One is usually more than enough, but you get two. Just in case.
- Additional remakes may be approved if an item is lost in transit, arrives with a manufacturing defect, or has dimensions outside of our accepted tolerances. These cases must be verified by our operations team and specially approved.
- To request a remake, you must return your original garment to Proper Cloth.
- Remakes are produced and delivered according to the same schedule as new garments. Consult this shipping page to understand current delivery dates.
- Remakes are subject to fabric stock and availability. If a fabric is no longer in stock, an alternative of equal or lesser value may be selected.
- Receiving a complimentary remake on a custom product does not disqualify you from a full refund, but you’ll need to return both the original and the remade version of the garment to receive the refund.
Reimbursement for Tailoring
For Casual Pants and Tailored Clothing only, we will provide reimbursement (as store credit) for the cost to have your garment altered by a local tailor. In some cases this can be faster and easier than a full remake.
- Requests for tailoring reimbursement must be initiated within 90 days of when the order was placed.
- Tailoring credit will not be issued for items that are being remade, returned for store credit, or returned for refund. Similarly, items that have been tailored are not eligible for complimentary remakes, returns for store credit, or returns for refund.
- The amount that will be reimbursed depends on the type of garment:
- Up to $125 for a suit (jacket and pant pair)
- Up to $75 for a tailored jacket
- Up to $50 for tailored dress pants
- Up to $30 for casual pants
- Maximum tailoring credit per customer is $300.
- In order to request reimbursement as store credit for local tailoring expenses, a photo of the receipt must be furnished.
- Reimbursement for local tailoring will only be issued as Store Credit (not a refund to card).
Customers Outside the US and Canada
For customers in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, and UAE (all countries we ship to not including the US, Canada, the EU, or the UK):
- For refunds or store credit:
- Any special charges you had to pay to receive the product, such as customs, duties, fees or taxes (typically collected by your local customs agencies or courier) will not be refunded or credited to your account as store credit.
- For exchanges:
- When the replacement item is sent to you, the shipping will be complimentary, however, you will still be responsible for any customs, duties, fees, or taxes that your local customs agency or courier may charge to you directly.
For customers in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, China, the EU, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, and the UK (all countries we ship to not including the US or Canada):
- For all Stocked Products, you will be responsible for return shipping costs to return the product to Proper Cloth in the US.
Return Shipping Labels
We provide complimentary return shipping labels for most situations, however, depending on the product type or country you are in, we may not provide a return shipping label.
- Customers in the US:
- All orders (not including orders for Face Masks or Essentials, or orders with Minimal Packaging selected) will arrive with a complimentary return shipping label included.
- Customers in Canada:
- Orders will not arrive with a complimentary return shipping label included, but will be provided on request.
- Customers in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom:
- Return shipping labels will be provided for Custom Shirts, Casual Pants, and Tailored Clothing orders only (not including Stocked Product orders).
If you are in any of the countries listed above and need a return shipping label, or a replacement for a lost return label, contact us to request a complimentary return shipping label.
Limited Return & Remake Policy
This Return and Remake policy applies to all new customers, however, if a customer has a particularly high number of returns or remakes, they may be temporarily placed on the more restrictive Limited Return & Remake Policy. In the event that this is necessary, the customer will receive clear notification from the Customer Service team when this change is made.