Our Values 🎯
We value collaboration, honesty, empathy, and excellence for excellence’s sake. No task is too small or too big, and if we’re going to do something, we want to do it to the highest possible standard. Above all, we treat everyone with respect, and everyone's big ideas are encouraged. If this sounds like you, you’ll fit in great here.
Career Development 💪
We are serious about everyone's personal and professional growth. Not only do we give our people the opportunities to build new skillsets, we give them the tools as well. From lunch-and-learn trainings, to one-on-one coaching sessions, we know that our people are our greatest asset and are proud to invest our time and resources into taking them to the next level.
We Have Fun 🎉
We like to work hard! And we reward hard work with some of the best perks around: Catered lunches, a stocked kitchen, cold brew and kombucha on tap, a clothing allowance (shirts, shirts, and more shirts!), monthly team outings, full health benefits, and competitive PTO. Oh, and did we mention? We’re a dog-friendly office!
Equal Opportunity Employer ⚖️
This should go without saying, but to be absolutely clear, we are an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religion, disability, Veteran status, marital status, gender identity, and citizenship.
From the beginning, great engineering has been core to Proper Cloth. Our ecommerce platform is built from the ground up to support totally custom, made-to-order clothing. We also build tools to automate and streamline business operations, and to analyze data for smarter decision-making. We're a small, core team building and continuously releasing new features and updates every day. We’re looking for extremely capable engineers that bring new expertise and ideas to the table.
Many ecommerce platforms exist. What makes Proper Cloth’s unique is that it’s built from the ground up to support totally custom, made-to-order clothing. It’s this element of custom that makes what we’re building so powerful: we can quite literally produce a shirt in any style and any size. Quickly and cost effectively. Perfect fit becomes a reality and user experiences become truly personalized. Through it all we generate and collect data about fit and style preferences that other ecommerce companies can only dream of. We’ve only just begun to scratch the surface of what’s possible.
With so many options, custom clothing can easily become overwhelming. It takes an intuitive, multi-layered front-end design to keep it simple and user friendly for novices, yet flexible for experts. Complex, data powered algorithms make custom sizing a snap. Sophisticated business process flows enable customers to help themselves without assistance. Powerful backend systems keep our operations team lean. Extensive use of data analytics and optimization help us continuously refine and improve our marketing, user experience and even physical products.
Some of the features and tools we’ve built include:
- Custom shirt configurator
- Custom size prediction algorithms
- Wishlist management
- Custom size management
- Custom shopping cart and checkout
- Custom CRM and CMS
- Order management tools
- Fraud detection
- Business analytics tools
- Continuous feedback systems
Some of the technologies we currently leverage include:
- Object oriented PHP with ADOdb abstraction layer
- Linux based server admin
- Stripe and Paypal payment processing
- LESS CSS Framework
- Node, jQuery, Vue.js
Senior Back-End DeveloperView Info & Apply
We’re looking for an experienced, senior back-end developer to join our small, tight-knit engineering team to help take our custom ecommerce site to the next level.
In this role you will largely help us develop new application software, refactor existing code, and work to implement groundbreaking new shopping experiences. However, being a small team means you'll also get to work on a wide range of projects that touch every aspect of our business.
You'll have the autonomy and encouragement to make decisions that help to drive what we do – and how we build it. Additionally, you'll be a key part of solving a unique and challenging set of problems in the ecommerce space.
We want to build the best custom fit shopping platform - and we need your help.
- Experience playing a major role in the back end development of websites used by millions of users
- 5+ years experience developing fast, scalable backend software
- 5+ years experience PHP
- 5+ years experience with JS (Jquery/VueJS)
- Expert in LAMP, MacOS
- Expert in relational databases (SQL) and optimizing queries for handling large requests
- Experience working with third party APIs, such as Stripe, Paypal, SendGrid
- Experience developing custom SOAP and REST APIs
- Understanding of AWS
- Passion for web technologies and keeping up-to-date with new tools and techniques
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment as a key contributor
- Experience playing a major role in the back end development of an Ecommerce website used by millions of users
- Experience with Redis or MongoDB
- Experience with Docker or container-based architecture
- Experience with Node
- Node NPM manager
- Experience with task runners (Webpack/Gulp/Grunt)
- Experience with CSS pre/post-processing (SCSS, LESS, PostCSS)
- Expert in Git with agile devops experience
- Experience making complex back-end architecture design choices
- Experience building APIs and microservices
- Experience with Composer
This is a full-time position. We prefer candidates based in New York, but will also consider remote candidates.
At Proper Cloth, we’re on a mission to create the world’s next great luxury brand. A brand with all the attention to detail, quality and exceptional customer service that you’d expect from a heritage luxury brand, but built on a platform of technology, leveraging custom fit, and made-to-order for a superior customer experience. We look up to companies like Tesla and Apple that have combined technology and design for beautiful, functional products, as well as the great menswear brands and retailers of the past. We’ve worked hard to create the best-in-class men’s custom shirt offering in the world, but we need to spread the word. It takes a great marketing team to help explain why what we do is so special. At Proper Cloth our in-house marketing team focuses on generating positive brand awareness, driving new customer acquisition, and continuing to engage with existing clients. Our approach to marketing is a fascinating blend of quantifiable, data driven analysis, and creative, qualitative thinking.
Senior Marketing Graphic ArtistView Info & Apply
We’re looking for a Senior Marketing Graphic Artist to join the Proper Cloth art and marketing team. In this role you’ll be working to conceptualize, design and execute meaningful advertising campaigns. You should be ready to utilize a strong framework of graphic design and employ thoughtful copywriting skills to tell our story. You will focus mainly on digital advertising platforms, but will also be involved in print, mail, outdoor campaigns. You’ll be collaborating with our Head of Data and marketing analytics team to track success of different campaigns, and to refine them to be more effective. As a small brand, this role will also work directly with our Founder/CEO.
- Develop concepts for digital, offline, and video advertising campaigns
- Turn concepts into finished, polished advertising creative
- In some cases, collaborate with third party agencies in new creative developments
- Collaborate with our marketing analytics team to adjust and optimize advertisement campaigns based on engagement and conversion rate metrics
- Develop finished, pixel perfect advertising creatives (still image and video)
- Develop new landing pages and email campaigns
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- A sense of creativity and ability to come up with interesting new concepts
- A dynamic portfolio that demonstrates a high taste level
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Strong understanding of graphic design and typography
- Copywriting skills, from short slogans to longer form landing pages
- Good understanding of the men’s luxury customer (his pain points, fears and desires) and experience crafting messages to him
- Expert in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Proficiency in Premiere and AfterEffects is a bonus!
- Minimum 3 years of advertising or branding agency experience
This is a full time position based in our headquarters in NYC.
An ecommerce business like ours has many moving parts and it’s the operations team that holds it all together: making sure items ship on time, products stay in stock, and inventories stay up to date. New products are constantly arriving from all over the world and being prepped for launch. Orders are shipping out to customers daily. With our volume steadily increasing there are always new challenges. We’re working hard to expand our custom shirt service to a global customer base and to add a range of new product types and are expanding the operations team to help do that.
Operations AssociateView Info & Apply
As a member of the Operations team, you will be instrumental in keeping our shipping, logistics and internal processes running smoothly. In this role you will learn how to efficiently ship different types of products, manage inventories, process returns, source packaging, and more. You'll communicate both with our customer's as well as with factories in Asia and Europe. You'll learn all about dress shirt fabrics, garment construction, how to design dress shirts to fit properly and how to give incredible customer service.
What you'll do:
- Track product inventories and forecast reorders
- Coordinate orders with overseas factories in Asia and Europe
- Setup new products in our system and add them to inventory
- Help process customer returns
- Pack products for customers and ensure things ship on time
- Think creatively about ways in which we can better optimize operations
Who you are:
- A workhorse with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Energetic, kind, sincere, patient, and adaptable
- Smart and organized. Very organized.
- Eager to learn every single day
- Positive, positive, positive!
- Driven by an entrepreneurial spirit
This is a full-time, salaried position. You must be available to work five days a week.
Operations InternView Info & Apply
Work with the entire Proper Cloth team, learning about retail sales, operations, customer service and product design. The opportunity will require 2-5 days per week at the Proper Cloth showroom in SoHo for a minimum of 6 weeks. This position is based in New York and paid hourly.
This is a position in our New York office.
Sales & Customer Experience Team
There's a good reason we have over 30,000 5-star ratings: our incredible customer experience team. We're a fun group, full of energy and stories. Every customer experience team member must go through our intensive training program to become an expert on shirting fabrics, styles and how to make a custom shirt fit perfectly. It’s a rigorous program because the customer experience team is standing by to answer the most particular questions about men’s clothing, to provide personalized style advice, to help customers create and tune their custom sizes, and to provide whatever support customers may need.
Customer Experience ManagerView Info & Apply
We are seeking an aspiring manager to help lead our incredible customer experience organization. This is a chance to join one of the highest rated customer service teams in the industry and an incredible startup menswear brand.
Based in New York, our growing 20-person customer experience team excels at helping customers purchase perfect fitting custom shirts, suits and pants online and in person at our Soho showroom. It’s a tough job, but as our customer reviews show (https://propercloth.com/dress-shirt-reviews), we’re committed to doing it well.
Candidates should have at least 3-5 years experience working in a customer service role, a knack for managing others, and a strong desire to be the best in their field.
- At least 3-5 years experience working in a customer service role
- Experience working with cross-functional teams (Ops, Design, Marketing, etc)
- Passionate with a ‘customer first’ approach
- A strong desire to be the best in their field
- Extremely detail oriented
Skills you should have
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A natural ability to diffuse tense situations
- A knack for strategic thinking and planning
- The ability to lead a team and inspire others
Things you will do
- Coach and inspire the customer service team
- Help interview new hires
- Help plan and manage associate’s schedules
- Prepare training materials and help to train new hires
- Report on team metrics
- Identify areas for process improvements and help implement changes
- Handle escalated customer service cases
- Develop new customer service policies
- Perform quality assurance checks and audits to ensure standards are met
Customer Experience AssociateView Info & Apply
You'll be instrumental in representing the Proper Cloth brand and assisting clients through email and over the phone. Wow customers with kindness and inspire them with stellar service! Learn all about dress shirt fabrics, garment construction, and how to design dress shirts to fit properly. We strive to deliver an extraordinary shopping experience, and as a Customer Experience Associate, this will be your specialty.
This is a full-time position in New York.
Showroom Customer Experience Associate (Part Time)View Info & Apply
We're looking for another Showroom Associate to assist clients in our beautiful SoHo Headquarters. As a Showroom Associate, and a member of the Customer Experience team, you will be instrumental in representing the Proper Cloth brand in person. You will learn all about dress shirt fabrics, garment construction, and how to design dress shirts to fit properly. We strive to deliver an extraordinary shopping and ownership experience, and as a Showroom Associate, this will be your specialty. We're a small team of just 35 people and the right person has the potential to make a big difference.
We're primarily looking for part-time hires (20-30 hrs/week) in New York City. We are open Monday-Sunday, from 10:00AM to 7:30PM. Weekend and evening availability is a must.
At Proper Cloth, we get excited about beautiful clothes. Fabrics, shapes, colors and patterns. Drape and structure. Silhouettes and subtle details. We aspire to create some of the worlds greatest clothing and we have a small internal team dedicated to developing new fabrics and styles.
No current openings.