Getting the Perfect Fit
We are dedicated to helping you get the perfect Tailored Clothing fit, and to support that we provide each customer up to two complimentary jacket remakes and up to two complimentary dress pant remakes, as well as credit for local tailoring. Click here to learn more about our .
Requesting a Tailored Clothing Remake
Step 1: Wear Your New Garments
It’s important to try out your jacket or pants with the shoes, shirt, jacket, or pants you expect to wear them with. This will help determine if they have the right silhouette to match the rest of your wardrobe and if the pants are the right length where they meet your shoes.
Step 2: Request the Tailored Clothing Remake
There are several ways to request your Tailored Clothing remake:
Option 1: Email Us Exactly What to Change
If you’re experienced with tailoring jackets and pants, simply what you want to change. Be sure to include your Order ID and name, and provide instructions that are as clear as possible. For example:
- “Shorten the sleeve by 0.3” from 24.2 to 23.9”
- “Reduce the leg opening 0.3 inches, from 7.3 to to 7.0”
- “Increase the inseam by 0.5 inch, from 31 to 31.5”
- “Increase the thigh width 0.4 inches, from 7.8 to 8.2”
Option 2: Email Us for Fit Advice
If you’re not loving how the jacket or pants fit, but aren’t sure what needs to change, we are more than happy to assist.
Email us fit photos, along with comments about what you like and dislike about the fit. Details on .
After we review your photos we’ll email you our size change recommendations and any other questions we might have. After you confirm, we’ll process a complimentary remake for you.
Email your fit photos to to get this process started.
Option 3: Schedule a Virtual Consultation
Another way to get fit advice and request a remake is to schedule a virtual consultation. . To best prepare for your virtual call we suggest:
- Wear the tailored clothing you purchased.
- Wear the style of shirt and shoes you plan to wear with the purchased garments.
- If you have another jacket or pair of pants that you like the fit of better, have it handy.
- If you have a measuring tape, have that handy.
- You can do the call on either a phone or laptop. If using a phone, have some way to stand the phone up so that you can stand back and show the pants fully.
- Plan to be in a room with good lighting where you can stand such that your pants will be fully visible on your camera (for a pants evaluation), or your torso will be fully visible (for a jacket evaluation).
On the video call, we will review your fit together and discuss what to change. After your consultation is complete, your fit specialist will process your complimentary remake for you.
Option 4: Schedule a Showroom Appointment (New York Only)
Another way to get fit advice and request a remake is to visit one of our physical locations in New York. . To make the most out of your in-person consultation we suggest:
- Bring (or wear) the garments you purchased to your appointment. If you wear them, also bring some spare clothes to wear home so you can leave your purchased garments with us when you’re finished.
- Wear the style of shirt, jacket, pants, and shoes you plan to wear with the outfit.
- If you have another jacket or pair of pants that you like the fit of better, bring it along.
At your in-person consultation, we will review your fit together and discuss what to change. You will also be able to try on other standard size jackets and pants we have in the showroom, or shop for other items entirely.
During or after your consultation is complete, your fit specialist will process your complimentary remake for you.
Step 3: Return Your Tailored Clothing
After you’re finished evaluating the fit of your garments and your complimentary remake has been processed, we ask that you return your tailored clothing to one of our locations in New York (in person or via mail). To mail your garment back, you can reuse the original packaging. A return shipping label will have been included in your original delivery. If mailing the garments back, please send to this address:
Proper Cloth – Returns
495 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10012
Having Your Tailored Clothing Altered Locally
Not all changes require a full remake. If the adjustments to your Tailored Clothing sizes are minor, it may make more sense to have them altered locally by a tailor, which we’re happy to reimburse with store credit.
Dimensions That Can Be Altered by a Tailor
- Shortening the sleeve length up to 0.5”
- Lengthening the sleeve length up to 0.5”
- Slimming the midsection up to 2”
- Moving the collar back up to 1”
- Dress Pants
- Widening the waist up to 1”
- Slimming the waist up to 1”
- Slimming the hips/seat up to 1”
- Shortening the inseam up to 4”
- Lengthening the inseam up to 1”
- Slimming the pant leg up to 1”
- Reducing the leg opening width up to 1.5”
Finding a Tailor and Completing Alterations
Having your garments altered locally is up to you. We don’t have specific tailors to recommend. If you don’t have a tailor that you trust, try searching online for one in your area with a good reputation. When you meet with them, you can usually tell them exactly what you want to change, or you can put the garments on with them and together determine what alterations make sense.
Important: Note the Size Changes
We strongly encourage you to take note of what changes your tailor makes to the garments so that you can update your for future orders. Our support team is always happy to help update your profile for you.
A Potentially Faster Alternative
In some cases, having your garments altered locally can be faster than requesting a full remake. Check here for for Tailored Clothing remakes (remakes have the same delivery times as new orders).
Requesting Tailoring Credit/Reimbursement
Once you’ve had the alterations done, email a photo of the receipt along with the Proper Cloth order number to . We’re happy to reimburse (as store credit) up to $125 for a suit, $75 for a jacket, $50 for dress pants, and $30 for casual pants.
- How to Request a Casual Pant Remake We are dedicated to helping you get the perfect Casual Pant fit, and to support that we provide each customer up to two complimentary Casual Pant remakes, as...
- How to Request a Shirt Remake Getting a perfect-fitting custom dress shirt on the first try is not always possible. For many people, the absolute perfect fit will require a remake (or two). Some...
- High-Quality Tailored Clothing When choosing a suit, sport coat, or trousers, you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a high-quality garment. There are several details that will help you identify a...
- How to Have Your Custom Pants Altered Locally Not all pant changes require a full remake. If the adjustments to your pants size are minor, it may make more sense to have them altered locally by...