A monogram is a great way to personalize your custom dress shirt. Add your initials—or a special date or nickname—in a bold or complimentary color to emphasize your style and set your shirt apart. We offer a variety of monogram styles, up to five characters, that can be applied to your custom shirts.
How to Add a Monogram
From the Design-A-Shirt tool, monograms can be added to any custom shirt by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Style tab of Design-A-Shirt
- Click “Monogram”
- Enter your initials or desired monogram characters
- Choose a font style
- Choose a thread color
- Choose where to place the monogram on your custom shirt
Monogram Font Styles
Block – A clean, modern font with minimal detail. As simple as it gets.
Serif – The Serif option has a little more character, though it’s still easy to read.
Script – The most decorative option, Script is a nice touch for formal shirts.
Numbers and Special Characters
Numbers 0 through 9 and many special characters are included in the monogram options we offer. As with letters, numbers and special characters will be applied in your chosen font and thread color.
The special characters available are as follows: . , / & # $ ? ` ~ ! % ^ * ( ) – _ = + ” ‘ ; : .
Monogram Placement Options
Monograms can be applied to one of six different places on custom dress shirts.
- Back Inside of Collar – A discreet placement option. The monogram will be placed on the center of the inside of the back of the collar band.
- Left Breast/Pocket – For shirts with a pocket style selected, the monogram will be applied to the center of the top hem of the pocket. For shirts without a pocket, the monogram will be applied to the same spot on the left chest, about level with the 2nd button below the collar.
- Left Stomach – Similar to the Left Breast/Pocket monogram, the Left Stomach option is applied to the center of the left side of the torso, just lower. This option will be level with the 4th button below the collar.
- Right/Left Center Cuff – One of the most popular monogram placement options for business dress shirts, this places the monogram right over the face of one’s watch. While we recommend opting for the watch-side cuff (if applicable), or non-dominant wrist, the choice is yours.
- Left Shirt Tail – Another discreet monogram option, this places the monogram just 2″ above the bottom hem on the front of the left side of the shirt, ensuring the monogram will be completely hidden when wearing your shirt is tucked in.
All monograms are approximately 6mm tall. Letter and number widths vary depending on the font: Block letters and numbers measure approximately 6mm wide, Serif letters and numbers measure approximately 6mm wide, and Script letters and numbers measure approximately 8mm wide. The size of each special character appears relative to the numbers and letters. As such, the period and comma are each 1mm and 2mm in size, respectively, the ampersand is approximately 6mm tall and 7mm wide, and so on. Monogram length varies according to the number of characters chosen.
Based on the design of the shirt, some monogram placement options may not be available. For example, Left/Right Center Cuff placement cannot be applied to short sleeve shirts. Additionally, certain chest monogram options are disabled based on the Front design detail chosen. The Pleated Tuxedo Front will disable the Left Breast/Pocket, Left Stomach, and Left Shirt Tail monogram placement options, while the Piqué Bib Tuxedo Front will disable the Left Breast/Pocket and Left Stomach but still allow the shirt tail placement, as it falls below the bib.
- Pocket Styles Proper Cloth has a range of pocket styles to choose from for both business and casual looks. All pockets are placed such that the inside edge of the...
- The Aloha Shirt: History and Style The origins of the Aloha shirt can be traced back to 1920s and early 1930s Hawaii. It was inspired by and first made out of Japanese work kimono...
- High Quality Dress Shirts How can you tell a high quality dress shirt? Luckily, what distinguishes a high quality dress shirt, is more than just black magic and flashy marketing. There are...
- How to Measure a Dress Shirt Measuring a dress shirt that fits you well is an excellent way to get started creating your first custom dress shirt size. The following explanations and videos will...